Vivint Authorized Retailer Abilene
Smart Security Specialists -- Your Vivint Authorized Dealer Covering Abilene & Surrounding Areas

Common causes of residential fires in Abilene and how to avoid them

September 25, 2023
Man surprised by smoke pouring out of oven

When you own a home, there are numerous threats to consider. Fire is foremost among them, as it can happen anywhere and at any moment. The U.S. Fire Administration approximated an astounding $8.9 billion in property damage in the United States due to residential fires in 2021. In the same year, there were more than 350,000 recorded incidents. Fortunately, there are actions you can take to prevent them. Take a look at the causes and how to prevent house fires in Abilene.

What causes residential fires in Abilene?

Fires can sprout up in any spot and without warning, whether caused by a discarded cigarette in a trash can or a neglected stovetop. Here are the leading causes of residential fires.

  • Cooking: Incidents in the kitchen are the most widespread kinds of residential fires in Abilene and elsewhere. Unattended stovetops are the primary source, so always keep an eye on that hot skillet when cooking. It’s also essential to note that putting water on a grease fire will only make matters worse.
  • Heating: Space heaters are well established as a cause of residential fires. Operating them for too long may cause inner components to degrade and spark. Damaged cords and situating heaters next to flammable materials like blankets or window coverings can also lead to disastrous results. Other heating devices, such as HVAC systems and fireplaces, might cause fires and should be inspected regularly.
  • Electrical: Old wiring, malfunctioning outlets, and overwhelmed extension cords are a few of the ways electrical problems cause fires. Never run an appliance with a tattered cord, and ensure flammable objects like paper aren’t put on top of a lampshade, get it checked out right away.
  • Candles: If there's a flame, there's the possibility of fire. Residential fires due to candles are still frequently reported and usually result from carelessness. Putting them within reach of pets or near flammable objects will often produce disastrous results.
  • Smoking: Despite the overall decline in smoking across the nation, it’s still an undeniable fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration approximated that 7,800 residential fires were a result of smoking in 2021. Falling asleep while holding a cigarette or prematurely throwing out smoldering ashes can cause devastating results.

The primary way to prevent house fires in Abilene is to be careful at all times. Always keep an eye on things when cooking, never leave a candle burning, and properly get rid of cigarettes. If you must operate a space heater, do so sparingly and invest in one that includes an automatic shut-off feature in case it is knocked over.

Get help quickly with a monitored fire alarm in Abilene

You need to have smoke detectors on every floor and consider using more near bedrooms. But you can take your safety to a new level with a monitored fire alarm. These modern safety devices will not only recognize smoke but can also be triggered due to elevated heat levels. Additionally, considering they integrate into your modern smart home, they’ll warn you and your monitoring specialists whenever a disaster takes place. This is a notable feature, specifically when you’re not around to hear the alarm and call the fire department yourself.

Safeguard your home against common risks with a Vivint smart home in Abilene

Elevate the protection of your property today with a Vivint smart home. You may personalize our systems with monitored fire alarms, CO detectors, and flood sensors. You’ll appreciate the instant notifications to your smartphone and the peace of mind that comes with professional monitoring. Place a call to (325) 378-0098 to get started.